Oracle E-Business Suite R12 Installation Steps on Windows XP
I have installed Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 on Windows XP Professional successfully.
I have done a single node installation as follows:
Hardware & Software Specifications:
- Intel Pentium 4, CPU 3.2 GHz
- 2 GB of RAM
- 180 GB Hard Drive
- Windows XP Professional with Sevice Pack 2
1) Install Windows XP Professional with SP2
2) Set 'Computer Name' as well as 'Domain Name'.
- Right click on 'My Computer' > Properties > 'Computer Name' > Change
- Set 'Computer Name' to
- Click on More
- Set a 'Primary DNS Suffix of this Computer' to
3) Install Microsoft Loopback adapter and define an IP address (10.10.10.10)
For more information on how to do this, please refer to "How to install the Microsoft Loopback adapter in Windows XP":
4) Add a new entry in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts as follows:
5) From the command prompt, make sure you can do the following:
C:\> ping 10.10.10.10
C:\> ping hostname
C:\> ping hostname.domainname.com
6) Create a new user 'hsawwan' and make this user a member of:
- Administrators (local user)
7) Install Visual C++ 8.0 (Which is included in Microsoft Visual Studio 2005) in 'C:\VCPlus' -- Make sure not to install VC++ in a directory that contains spaces.
8) Download 'Cygwin' and install the required packages:
- Create a Cygwin directory (C:\cygwin) -- Make sure not to install 'Cygwin' in a directory that contains spaces.
- Download the Cygwin Software (http://www.cygwin.com)
- Run 'Setup.exe' and choose 'Download without Installing'
- Select the following packages:
Archive - Default, plus manually select the zip package
Base - Default, plus manually select: ash, coreutils, diffutils, findutils, gawk, grep, sed, tar and which
Devel - Default, plus manually select binutils, gcc, gcc-core, gcc-g++, make and mktemp
Doc - Default, plus manually select cygwin-doc and man
Editors - Default, plus manually select vim
Interpreters - Default, plus manually select gawk
Shells - Default, plus manually select ash and tcsh
Utils - Default, plus manually select cygutils and file
- Once the download is complete, run 'Setup.exe' again and choose 'Install from Local Directory'
- Specify the directory where you want to install Cygwin (C:\cygwin) and DOS as the Default Text File Type
9) GNUMake is not required when using 'Cygwin' since it comes as a part of the 'Cygwin'.
C:\cygwin\bin>copy gawk.exe awk.exe
C:\cygwin\bin>copy grep.exe egrep.exe
C:\cygwin\bin>copy make.exe gnumake.exe
C:\cygwin\bin>copy gcc.exe cc.exe
10) Add 'C:\cygwin\bin' to the system path.
11) No JDK installation is required, JDK 5.0 (java version "1.5.0_08") is bundled with Oracle Applications R12 installation.
12) Set Up the Stage Area:
Stage Area (C:\Stage12) requires a 26 GB hard disk space.
Extract the zip files (25 files) which have been downloaded from (http://edelivery.oracle.com). Nothing special to do since the extracted files will create the stage area directory structure by itself. You should see the following structure under 'C:\Stage12' once you are done with the files extraction:
- startCD > Disk1
- oraAppDB > (Disk 1 to Disk 35)
- oraApps > (Disk 1 to Disk 7)
- oraAS > (Disk 1 to Disk 2)
- oraDB > (Disk 1 to Disk 3)
13) Start the installation:
C:\> cd Stage12\startCD\Disk1\rapidwiz
The installation wizard is similar to 11.5.10 RapidWiz. For 'VC++' and 'Cygwin' I have provided the following paths:
- It took almost 2 hours to install the production environment (3 hours when installing the Vision instance)
- Total space required to install the production environment is 60 GB (153 GB is required to install the Vision instance)
8 years ago